Mira Rai is a trail runner from Nepal specialising in ultra distance mountain races. She is part of the Salomon Trail Running Team. Read more about Mira on the site for her short visual biography film: www.miraraifilm.com.
This page was written in April 2014 when a small fund was set up to support female runners after meeting Mira who, completely unprepared, ran and won a hard 50km trail race.
She wanted to run and be successful. Before she was focusing on track events, but we persuaded her to try trail running, and she has not looked back. Many people donated to a Women’s/Girls’ Running Fund to help that happen.
After her first trail race, she went on to win the Mustang Trail Race in April 2014. There she met Tite Togni, and after some months, a plan was made to send Mira to Italy. There she won two races, and you can see the rest of her running CV below.
Plans for 2016
Plans being worked out
Mira Rai Film
Below too you can find links to interviews in the media. This immediately below is an early interview with Mira, before leaving for Italy.
Sarah Ryan – from Trail Running magazine (UK) recently asked Mira some questions:
- Why do you love trail running? I grew up in a remote village and walking on trails, collecting fodder for animals, or wood, or to walk to friends houses and school was normal. To collect water was 30 mins straight downhill and more coming back up. When I was younger, there were no shops. My mum had to walk for two days to get salt and other basic things. She needed someone to go with her so I went with her. I recently found there was a sport like this, running on trails like I did at home – wow! So trail running is like home for me, it’s natural.
- How does it make you feel? Really good. I like being in nature and trying to do my best. I’m learning and improving and enjoy the challenge and hard work.
- + 4. How have things changed for you since the sponsored started? What is your trail running ambition? Life is short, I want to do something good and earn a name for girls in this country, and hopefully race internationally so people will know about Nepal. Since I was small, I wanted to be in sports and reach national level. Before sponsorship I had no opportunities. Now my confidence gone up a lot and I can work on doing my best.
Photos from various sources. Please contact the photographers for permission to use. For HK images: email@example.com, for Salomon images: firstname.lastname@example.org. 2014 images from italy courtesy of http://www.pegasomedia.it/. For all others, please contact via this site.
|2016 30.04||3 Peaks Race||2nd|
|2015 19.09||Ultra Pirineu||2nd|
|2015 28.08||SANTA CATERINA VERTICAL KILOMETER||4th|
|2015 02.07||Tromso Skyrace 45km||2nd|
|2015 19.07||Dolomites Skyrace 22km||13th|
|2015 04.07||Barro Sky Night 18km||1st|
|2015 26.04||Mont-Blanc 80KM||1st (new record)|
|2015 12.04||Buffalo Stampede Skyrunning 42km||3rd (42km 4:52)|
|2015 21.03||Himalayan Outdoor Festival 50km||1st|
|2015 07.02||MSIG HK50 Sai Kung - Asia Skyrunning Championship 50km||1st|
|2015 01.02||King of the Hills||1st|
|2015 03.01||The North Face Kathmandu Ultra 50km||1st|
|2014 07.12||MSIG Lantau 50 - HK 50 Series 50km||2nd|
|2014 05.12||HK MSIG Vertical Kilometer||1st|
|2014 28.11||KOTH||2nd (lost!)|
|2014 8.10||Manaslu Trail Race||1st|
|2014 26.10||MSIG HK 50km||1st (5:30:32 5th overall)|
|2014 28.09||Trail Degli Eroi (83km)||1st (9:16)|
|2014 13.09||Sellaronda Trail Race (57km)||1st (6:36:30)|
|2014 21.04||Mustang Trail Race||1st|
|2014 23.03||Himalayan Outdoor Festival 50km||1st|
- Tages Anzeiger
- Malaysia Sun
- Outdoor Journal, India USA
- Runkeeper's run inspiration blog
- El Mundo, Spain
- The BMC
- Naiz.eus: DE GUERRILLERA A LA ÉLITE DE LA ULTRA TRAIL
- Suunto: MEETING NEPALESE TRAIL RUNNER Mira Rai
- The Guardian / Travel (Jan 2016)
- Hindustan Times / AFP syndicated
- Haaretz (Dec 2015)
- Guardian.co.uk (Oct 5th, 2015) - The former child soldier turned star athlete blazing a trail for women in Nepal
- Slate.com, USA (Oct 8th, 2015) - Meet Mira Rai 2.1k 4 Nepal’s first female sports star is a trailblazing global hero.
- El Pais women, France (Aug 6th, 2015) - Esta campesina de Nepal (y niña soldado) arrasa en la ultramaratón
- Outside online, USA (Jun 25th, 2015) - Meet Nepal’s Breakout Trail Running Phenom
- Scroll Magazine, India (Aug 2015)
- Young Post (Feb 2015)
- South China Morning Post (Jan 2015)
- South China Morning Post (Dec 2014)
- South China Morning Post (Oct 2014)
- Lloyd Belcher's photos from Hong Kong
- CATALUNYA RADIO, Spain
- Elle, Italy
- La Vanguadia, Spain
- Marca, Spain (5th October 2015) PDF
- Marca, Spain (5th October 2015)
- BBC Radio 4 - From our correspondant
- BBC News Magazine
- La Repubbila, Italy
- Interview with iRunFar, Bryon Powell
- Leksport blog Ultra Pirineu
- Video: Ultra Pirineu on rtve.es
- Corriere della sera, Italy
- IO Donna, Italy
- Annapurna post
- Canada Nepal interview (NepalI)
- Mira wins MSIG HK50
- Sella Ronda Trail Running
- Global Voices, inc comment from former Nepali Prime Minister
- Mira MSIG Victory in Republica (Oct 2014)