Upendra Sunuwar, despite having only started running a couple of years ago, is one of Nepal’s elite runners. Here is a picture of him in the Manaslu region after a trip to the border with Tibet at 4950m. He went on to win that stage race by a clear margin.
Why hire a guide?
- He will help you find and book accommodation
- Knows where the good trails are
- Can act as an interpreter between you and local people
- Allows you to concentrate on enjoying the trails
- For certain areas in Nepal, you have no choice but to take a guide with you! (e.g. Manaslu, Dolpa, Kanchenjunga)
- Enormously strong and untiring having been a trekking porter before
- Good knowledge of the trails right across the mountain regions of Nepal having worked with trekking businesses for many years
- Funny with a good sense of humour, fun to be around
- This work helps him afford time of to train for races
- Fun to run with a world class athlete!
A comment from Roger Henke (of Trail Running Nepal):
I’ve run with Upendra many times during weekends in Kathmandu and on a couple of multi-day trips elsewhere in the country and can fully confirm what Richard has written about him! The only thing I can add is that Upendra is a RUNNER. He likes running, he lives for running, he loves being on trails. Sure, he needs an income and guiding other runners is a way of earning money, but with him you’re sure to be on the trail with someone who loves the sport. And, indeed, a very very strong one, although he is comfortable with any level of runner – running with me being the best possible proof of that 🙂
Upendra’s English is not fluent, but his understanding is good communication is generally not a problem. His rates are highly affordable at approximately US$30 per day excluding transportation, including nominal food and accommodation costs. Feel free to tip too!
For Kathmandu Valley and the near by trekking areas, there are other young guys and girls who can show you the good trails on a morning run or a full day’s (or two, or three) outing.
If you are interested in hiring a guide your running or fastpacking adventure, fill the form below and we’ll select the best person to help you.